For the early settlers, defense against the Indians was only achieved by the construction of forts and stations.
The "fort" was a complex of log structures including houses and outbuildings. They were usually arranged in a square or rectangle and connected by stockades or palisades of upright logs.
A "station" was generally a single family’s log home that was at least one and one-half stories high and had "gun ports" constructed in the walls. It had heavy, thick wooden doors and shutters that could be barred from the inside for protection. Neighbors living in less sturdy cabins would often gather into a station for protection when hostile Indians were in the area.
The Shawnee Indians, led by the British, attacked at least once, if not several times, the earliest settlers living within central Kentucky. The worst attacks occurred in the early spring of 1780 and again in 1781. The forts, then located in what is now Green County, had to be abandoned, and the settlers moved to other eastern, better fortified forts.
The earliest settlements recorded in Green County were "Glover’s Fort," established in the fall of 1779 by John Glover, accompanied by his immediate family, several related families, and their slaves. The fort was abandoned after several Indian attacks in 1781.
Pitman Station was first settled by William Pitman in early spring of 1780. The station (possibly fortified) was located above a stream of water then called Sinking Creek, later to be renamed Pitman Creek. Pitman Station was situated upon a bluff top overlooking a place then called "The Narrows of Sinking Creek" (a horseshoe bend in the creek).
Some 20+ individuals lived near or at Pitman Station prior to March 1781. The Shawnee attacked the settlers at Pitman Station, and they were forced from the area of Green River Country for almost two years. No white man lived here from March 1781 until October 1784. Once the Indian threat was over, Pitman Station was re-settled in late 1784. The Cumberland Trace was the only trail that led to and from Pitman Station.
James Skaggs Station
James Skaggs Station was the third to be established within the modern day Green County. It was located near a tributary of Big Brush Creek, situated in the northern portion of the County. James Skaggs and his wife, three sons, and one daughter settled on land after April 1780. His "station" was located where today’s Jones Cemetery is located, near Highway Route 61.
In the fall of 1781, James Skaggs had decided that they did not have enough provisions to get them through the oncoming winter months and that it would be necessary to return to Brian’s Station (Lexington, Kentucky) to spend the winter.
James Skaggs’s daughter took their iron cooking pot and dutch oven to a small cave (Indian Hollow), to hide until their return the following spring. While at the cave she was surprised by a small band of hostile Indians, who killed and scalped the young girl. Her family found her remains and brought her body back to the cabin where she was buried under the cabin floor. This was the first burial at the Jones Cemetery. The exact grave site is unknown.
In the following spring, James Skaggs and his family, with other settlers, returned to their land and found that the Indians had burned their original cabin. They built a larger structure, two stories high, 22x24 feet in size, with a fireplace on each floor. This structure stood until it was torn down in 1951.
The Treasury Warrant Number for James Skaggs’s 450 acres of land located on Brush Creek was issued on the first day of April, 1780.
Colonel James Skaggs had established Fort Blevins (possibly a station) on Big Brush Creek near Gum Springs about 1780. The exact location of this fort is unknown today.
Indians had attacked the fort when all the men were gone for the day. Several women and Colonel Skaggs’s small infant were horribly murdered. The Indians were tracked by Colonel Skaggs and other settlers, and several Indians were killed.
Graham’s Station was established near the water’s edge of Big Brush Creek about 1787. The station was located in the northeastern part of Green County. It was built by William Graham and his brothers. The station soon grew into a small community having its own spinning factory, training mill, church, and cemetery. There were never any reports of Indian attacks at this station.
Natural Kentucky iron ore was abundant along Big Brush Creek, and by 1818, Graham’s Station had a furnace used in processing the ore into "pig-iron."
Gray’s Station was located on Caney Fork, a tributary of Russell’s Creek. Jesse Gray had built the station before 1792. At 24 settlers were living around Gray’s Station in 1792. After 1794, Gray’s Station quietly disappeared.